- Public Works
- Refuse / Recyclables Service
Refuse, Recycling, and Yard Waste Services
Regular Refuse Service:
- The City of Ludington, through Republic Services, provides curbside refuse (and recycling) pick-up each week, at no extra charge, as part of your regular City services.
- Your regular refuse (and recycling) pick-up day is based on the location of your residence. Please view the Refuse Map (PDF) to determine your regular pick-up day.
- Your refuse (and recycling) must be placed at the curb by 7:00 am on the day of your regularly scheduled pick-up (may also be placed out as early as 5:00 pm the night before).
- You are limited to three 33-gallon bags or containers of regular refuse each week. All items must be bagged in refuse containers.
- You may use any refuse container you choose, however, it must contain no more than the amount listed above, must be bagged, and must not exceed 50 lbs for each bag.
- All trash must be bagged, regardless of receptacle used. Republic Services will not service any un-bagged or loose trash due to health and safety concerns for their drivers.
- A 96 gal Republic Services wheeled container with a lid can be rented for an annual rental fee of $36 per year by calling Republic Services directly at: 231-723-4850. (garbage must still be bagged in this refuse cart).
Click Here for Recycling and Bulk services calendar
- Any single family residential home that desires to have curbside recycling service must sign-up (subscribe) to receive a 96-gallon recycling cart. There is no extra cost to you to receive the recycling cart and curbside recycling is included in your City services.
- To order a recycling cart, please call DPW at 231-843-2873 or send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, address, phone number and email address.
- Recycling Collection is twice per month on the second & fourth week of each month on the same day as your trash collection. (see calendar PDF)
- Click here to see the most recent Recyclable Information Flyer (PDF) - Which explains curbside recycling services provided by Republic Services, including a list of acceptable and not acceptable recyclable items (subject to change).
- Unacceptable items placed in your cart could result in a “OOPS TAG” and the cart not being emptied until the non-acceptable items are removed. Any home that repeatedly has contamination in its cart may be subject to terminated or suspended of recycling services
- Click here to learn Why Glass is No Longer Accepted in the City's curbside recycling program offered by Republic Services.
Holiday Delays for Regular Refuse and Recycling Pick-up:
Refuse collection will be delayed 1 working day* due to the following holidays:
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Bulk Item Program:
- The Bulk Item Program (PDF) allows some City residents to place up to two bulk items OR up to 6 additional bags of trash for free curbside pick-up on the first regular pick-up day of each month. Items in excess of these limitations will not be picked up unless they have a bulk item or extra trash sticker. (see below).
- Bulk Item Program Restrictions apply. It is important that residents are aware of the Bulk Item Program acceptable and unacceptable items list. Property owners may face code enforcement junk fines for unacceptable items or excessive trash left in the right-of-way.
- To determine if your residence is eligible for this service, please view this Bulk Item Program (PDF) flyer.
- Additional fees apply for pick-up of Bulk items and extra trash on the remaining pick-up days (or in amounts exceeding the allowed Bulk Item Program Limit). Please purchase Bulk item stickers ($5.00 fee), Extra Trash stickers ($2.00 fee), or Freon Appliance stickers ($40 fee) at City Hall. Please note that additional fees apply for debit or credit card purchases.
Yard Waste Program:
- Yard Waste pick-up services are provided weekly April to November (additional fees apply).
- Yard Waste will be picked up on Mondays at residences located North of Ludington Ave. and on Tuesdays for residences located South of Ludington Ave. at participating residences Please be sure to have your yard waste containers to the curb before 7am on your pick-up day or after 5pm the night before.
- To set up weekly yard waste pick-up residents will need to rent a seasonal yard waste cart ($67 for the 2023 season). Purchase at City Hall, 400 S. Harrison. Please note that additional fees apply for debit or credit card purchases.
- Yard cart rental must be renewed each season by purchasing a new yard service sticker. Yard carts without valid annual stickers will not be serviced.
- Overweight yard carts cannot be emptied - please do not overload your cart. Do not place rocks, soil, cement. or pet waste in your cart. These items will not be picked up.
- Yard Waste pick-up services begin April 1 and continue through the end of November (weather permitting).
- Free Brush Pick-up can be requested by calling DPW at 231-843-2873. Please do not call City Hall to request this service. Place brush in the right-of-way off street or alley. Brush includes branches, limbs, and bushes only - do not mix with leaves or loose yard material.
- Leaf Pick-up Services are provided curbside in the Fall (curbside pick-up is not available in the Spring). A leaf corral is also available for leaf drop off, (limited hours) Please visit the Leaf Pick-up page for more information.
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day - Typically scheduled for the third Saturday in August annually, this program allows residents to dispose of unused, unwanted, outdated, household cleaners, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, electronics, batteries, and more! Drop off located at the Mason County Road Commission, 510 E. State St., Scottville, MI 49454. For more information please contact: Mason-Lake Conservation.org - 231-757-3707, ext. 5
- Dumpsters and 90 Gallon refuse cans are available for rent directly from Republic Services by calling 231-723-4850. Dumpsters that will be placed in the street require barricades for traffic safety. Please contact DPW at 231-843-2873 to borrow barricades for a returnable deposit of $50 (check or credit card only - no cash please).
Please contact the Department of Public Works for more information at 231-843-2873.