MASON COUNTY HOME REPAIR ASSISTANCE
MASON COUNTY HOME REPAIR PROGRAM GUIDELINES
The Mason County Housing Program is a federally funded program administered through the Community Development Department for all of Mason County. The Program offers affordable loans for home repairs and assistance to qualified homeowners that includes the following:
- Help determining what repairs are needed and how the work should be done with priority given to exterior Housing Code orders, emergency repairs and environmental issues (lead paint),
- Help identifying licensed, insured contractors, and
- Help to ensure the repairs are complete and of good quality.
Who is Eligible?
You may be eligible for financial assistance if you:
- Meet program income qualifications as identified by the Michigan State Housing Development Authority.
- Have clear title to your home,
- Have paid all property taxes and City fines,
- Have sufficient equity in your home to secure the loan and have reasonably good credit and can show you are able to repay the loan, and
- Live in Mason County
There may be other criteria that apply to your situation.
How much can I borrow?
If you meet the criteria listed above, you may be eligible for a loan for home repairs between $500 and $25,000. If you have received a previous loan for home repairs through this program, all of the loans you have received must not exceed the equity in your home. You may not apply for the program more frequently than every 5 years.
What kind of repairs can be done?
Some of the repairs that can be made using financial assistance through the County Housing Program include:
- Emergency repairs, such as roof or furnace replacement,
- Exterior repairs like new siding, new windows, and porch repairs or replacement,
- Repairs to items that effect the homeowner's health and safety,
- Repairs to make the home accessible for a handicap person,
- Treatment of lead-based paint or asbestos hazards
You may not make repairs that are related to fire/smoke damage, purchase new tools, do new construction, or make luxury improvements. All improvements must result in a home that meets Section 8 Housing standards.
Click here for information on other Home Repair Programs.